Safe Mercury Removal
The use and dangers of Mercury (Hg) fillings and the best practices for its removal have long been debated. We are SMART certified by the International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology (IAOMT). SMART is the Safe Mercury Amalgam Removal Technique, which is a set of safety measures to reduce mercury exposures during dental amalgam filling removal. These safety measures were developed as a result of scientific research collected by the IAOMT. However, bodies of scientific evidence and years of experience have led us to believe there is no longer a need for Hg fillings in dentistry.
Since we care deeply about your safety and well-being, we do not use Hg fillings in our practice.
These are the SMART safety measures fo patient protection:
• Slurry of charcoal, chlorella or similar absorbant
• Full body, impermeable barrier
• Full head/face/neck barrier
• External air or oxygen delivered via a nasal mask
• Dental dam made with non-latex nitrile material
• Saliva ejector
• At source oral aerosol vacuum
• Copious amount of water spray
• Conventional high speed evacuation device
• Section amalgam into chunks and remove large pieces
Other related links: